Important Updates

Delivery of new roll-out carts began April 24 and Waste Industries will begin trash collection May 1. Call Town Hall at 252-728-2141 for more information. To read more about the transition, download this PDF. 


Water & Sewer

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

How can I pay my bill?

There are several options for payment.
• In person at Town Hall, 701 Front St. (use the Pollock Street entrance). You can pay with cash, check or American Express, Discover, Visa, Mastercard, Pulse, Star and NYCE. There Is A 2.95-percent fee for all credit card transactions.
• Mail to P.O. Box 390, Beaufort, N.C. 28516.
• There is a drop box behind Town Hall beside the driveway.
• Payment over the phone or online is made through Official Payments. Official Payments, the service provider, charges a convenience fee for payment processing, currently $3 for utility payments and 3 percent for taxes with a cap of $175.00. Use jurisdiction code 4394.
• You may set your account up on automatic bank draft. Your checking account will be drafted on the 10th of the month. 

Please note that the revenue office in Town Hall only accepts cash or check for payment. Debit or credit card payments are processed by Official Payments

Can I pay my bill over the phone or online?

The office does not accept payment by phone or online. Those payments are processed by Official Payments.

How do I obtain water and sewer service?

New utility services can be established at the Town Hall Revenue Department, 701 Front St. A $75 refundable deposit is required with a $25 service charge. To speed up the application process, use the Application for Service and bring the completed form and necessary documents stated to Town Hall. For more information or to speak to representative, call 252-728-3175 or e-mail

How do I cancel my water and sewer service?

To cancel a service, visit Beaufort Town Hall Revenue Department, 701 Front St., or fill out the Change or Cancellation of Service found here and email to or mail to Revenue Department, 701 Front St., Beaufort, N.C. 28516.

What happens if I do not pay my water and/or sewer bill?

Bills are due when rendered and become delinquent 10 days thereafter, whereupon a penalty of 10 percent will be added. If not paid in 30 days, service may be discontinued by the Town. Failure to receive bills or notices shall not prevent the bills from becoming delinquent or relieve the consumer from payment. Upon discontinuance of service for nonpayment of bill, the Town may proceed to collect the balance in the way provided by law for the collection of debts. Service discontinued for nonpayment of bills will be restored only after bills are paid in full, redeposit made, and a service charge paid for each meter reconnected.

How is my bill calculated?

To calculate your water and/or sewer bill, use Town of Beaufort  Fee & Usage Rates Schedule.

Other associated fees for related services include:

New Water Account Service Fee (waived if set up on Bank Draft) $25
New Account Service Deposit (3/4-inch meter) $75
New Account Service Deposit (1-inch meter) $100
New Account Service Deposit (1.5-inch meter) $140
New Account Service Deposit (2-inch meter) $275
Transfer Account $25
Cleaning/Renovation/Inspection (available for a two-week period plus water and sewer usage) $25
Fire Hydrant Meters $35
Reconnect Fee $25
After Hours Reconnect Fee $75
Week End Call Out $75
Meter Tampering $100
Meter Testing $30
Irrigation/Dock Meter Tap Fee $500
Returned Check Fee $25
Solid Waste User Fee Residential $11
Late Fees added to late portion at 10 percent


How do I contact a Public Utilities Department representative?

A representative will be available from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday at Town Hall, by calling 252-728-3175 or email

If I have an after-hours emergency, how do I contact a Public Utilities Department representative?

Utilities staff is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week to serve you. If you have an emergency after hours, call 252-241-3525 for water and 252-241-5164 for sewer. A Town employee will check your problem and inform you if it is necessary for you to call a plumber.

My water bill is more than two times as much as last month. I haven’t done anything different. What happened?

If your water usage is higher than the corresponding time period a year ago:
A. Do you have a dripping faucet or leaking toilet? Even a small leak can increase your water bill considerably.
B. Do you hear water running at night when all your appliances are off? This may indicate an underground break in your water line.
C. Has the weather been unseasonably warm and you have been doing more outside watering? It may be that it was cooler and rainy the same time period last year and you were not outside watering yet.
D. Did you have visitors or did the number of people living in your household increase from last year?
E. Did you install new landscaping or a pool and/or spa? Did you refill your swimming pool?
F. Look at last month's bill; was the usage lower than normal? This may indicate that your meter was read incorrectly last month. If your meter read is low one month, an accurate meter read the next month will result in a higher than normal bill.
See the following link for more information: Possible Reasons for High Water Usage. 

Why is the cut-off date on the bill before the due date? That doesn’t make sense!

The cut-off date only applies to past-due bills that are 45 days past the billing date. This amount would be shown in the “Past Due” line on your bill. Current bills are due on the 20th of the month, and are not subject to cut-off.

I can’t pay my past due bill by the cut-off date. Can I get an extension?

No. All past-due bills must be paid by 10 a.m. on the day of cut-off. Extensions cannot be made to pay any later than this. Any account that is on the cut-off list must pay the past-due balance and a $25 reconnection fee to have their service restored. This is true even if the meter has not yet been physically turned off; if it is on the list, it is considered cut off.

What causes overflows?

Many overflows, or SSO’s, are caused by the accumulations of fats, oils, and greases (FOG) in the wastewater collection system. While the collection system is designed to handle and safely transport sanitary waste to the wastewater treatment plant, too much FOG placed into the system can cause clogs and result in an overflow, especially after high flow events such as heavy rains. Dumping fats and oils derived from animal and vegetable sources, including meats, nuts, cereals, and beans, down any drain, in either a home or business, can cause a stoppage that forces raw, untreated waste to spill into our yards, streets, and streams. The Town has adopted a sanitary sewer ordinance in an attempt to reduce the frequency of grease-related overflows.