Important Updates

Staff is currently working through logistics with Waste Industries regarding the company’s taking over trash and recycling collection for the Town of Beaufort. In an effort to ensure the transition goes as smoothly as possible, it has been decided to wait until April before transferring that service completely to Waste Industries. A firm date will be announced in mid-March. In the meantime, Public Works will continue to collect household waste on Mondays, recycling on Tuesdays and yard and bulk items on Wednesdays. We will continue to seek public input in the coming weeks. Please email any concerns, questions or suggestions to Public Information Officer Jennifer Allen at

Talk Trash” with a representative from Waste Industries will be held 4-6 p.m. Feb. 22, 4-6 p.m. March 8 and 4-6 p.m. March 22 in the Train Depot, 614 Broad St. Citizens are encouraged to come and ask any questions they have about the new trash collection process. If you can't make these informal meetings, you can check out this film made in Hillsborough that shows how easy the carts are to handle and where to place properly for pick up.

Ricks Avenue is closed to through traffic until further notice due to a failed 36" culvert, which has caused a sink hole in the roadway. Crews are currently being scheduled for repairs. Updates will be provided as they become available. Contact Town Hall at 252-728-2141 for more details.

When to call 911


When should I call 911?

In an emergency, call 911 immediately from any phone. An emergency is any situation that requires immediate assistance from the police, fire department or ambulance. Visit for more information.

Examples include:
• A fire
• A crime, especially if in progress
• A car crash, especially if someone is injured
• A medical emergency, such as someone who is unconscious, gasping for air or not breathing, experiencing an allergic reaction, having chest pain, having uncontrollable bleeding, or any other symptoms that require immediate medical attention
• Suspicious activity, especially if in progress

When should I report a vehicle accident?

If the accident results in death, injuries or if damage to property exceeds $1,000, it is mandatory to inform the police, sheriff or highway patrol. Visit for more information.
How do I get a copy of a vehicle crash report?
Crash reports investigated by all of North Carolina's law enforcement agencies are forwarded to the N.C. Division of Motor Vehicles.
Effective Jan. 1, 2013, uncertified crash reports will no longer be available. The Division will provide certified crash reports only. There is a $5 fee for a crash report.
Obtain copies of crash reports from the Division of Motor Vehicles by: calling 919-861-3068; in person at DMV Headquarters, 1100 New Bern Ave. Annex Building, Room 112, Raleigh, N.C.; in writing by sending a request to NCDOT-DMV Traffic Records Section, 3105 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, N.C. 27699-3105; or at

What do I do if I’m pulled over by the police?

• Pull as far off the road as possible. This sends a message to the officer that you care about his/her safety. It's also good to turn on your emergency flashers.
• Keep the lines of communication open. Relax, be calm and be polite.
• Turn on your interior light. This also shows the officer that you are concerned for his/her safety and helps with communication.
• Stay inside your car. Never exit your car unless you are asked to do so by the officer. Let the officer come to you.
• Keep your hands in plain view. Let the officer ask for your drivers' license and registration. This way, there is no misunderstanding. Also, if you do not have your seatbelt fastened, don't try to do it now. The officer may think you are trying to conceal a weapon or other item. Remember, the officer doesn't know who you are at this point and may feel threatened by any furtive movements.

When should I report suspicious activity in my neighborhood?

Immediately! No law enforcement agency can function effectively without the assistance of responsible residents. The Beaufort Police Department asks that you stay vigilant of people or events in your community that appear suspicious. By reporting suspicious activities, a resident may prevent a traumatic event or help police arrest a criminal. Residents should report suspicious activity and avoid the tendency to ignore or disregard their instinctive feelings. Don’t worry about “bothering” the police, and don’t worry about being embarrassed if your suspicions prove unfounded.

What is suspicious activity?

Suspicious activity is any event that seems out of the ordinary, or an activity you feel should not be occurring. Knowing your community and its habits will make it easier for you to recognize and report suspicious activity. You know better than anyone else, including the police, what is normal for your business or neighborhood.

Can I report suspicious activity without giving my name?  

Yes.  We encourage you to give your name and address when calling 911 so we can verify information or find out more details about the activity, however, we do not require your information.  We will check out suspicious activity regardless.

Can I report information and criminal activity to Crime Stoppers?

Yes.  The telephone number for Carteret County and Beaufort is 252-726-INFO.

How do I obtain a carry conceal weapons permit?

Since 1995, North Carolina has allowed qualifying residents of the state to obtain a permit to carry a concealed handgun from the sheriff of the applicant’s home county. The permit is valid for five years unless it is revoked.

I have a carry conceal weapons permit from another state.  Can I carry my weapon concealed in North Carolina?

Effective Dec. 1, 2011, North Carolina automatically recognizes concealed carry permits issued in any other state.

Out-of-state permit holders should familiarize themselves with North Carolina’s laws. 
For example, in North Carolina, concealed handguns may not be carried:
• In law enforcement or correctional facilities such as a prison
• In any space occupied by state or federal employees, including state and federal courthouses
• In schools or on school grounds
• In areas of assemblies, parades, funerals or demonstrations
• In any place where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed (such as some restaurants) if the premises are posted as prohibited
• In any area where concealed handguns are prohibited by federal law
• In any place of business that has posted a sign banning concealed weapons on its premises
• By any person while consuming alcohol or while under the influence of alcohol or any controlled substances (unless obtained legally and taken as directed by a physician).
For more information, go to