The Town of Beaufort Board of Commissioners held its regularly scheduled meeting Monday, March 14, 2016, in the Train Depot, 614 Broad St., Beaufort, NC.
Rett Newton, Volunteer at the Nicholas School of the Environment, Duke University Marine Laboratory, spoke about the new drone program at Duke Marine Lab. The program, which began last summer, is using unmanned aircraft in an effort to support marine science. His presentation is available here.
During the Public Comment period, Susan Simpson, Carteret County Public Library director, presented a brief overview of the Craven-Pamlico-Carteret Regional Library system. She asked the Board to consider appropriating funds for the branch. Her presentation is available and includes statistics and data.
Commissioner Hagle made a motion to approve the Items of Consent as presented. All were in favor. Approved were the following:
B. Special event application for Barta Boys & Girls Clubs of Coastal Carolina Billfish Tournament July 16-18 (waive ABC laws on West Parking Lot).
C. Budget Amendment No. 5, which accounts for transfers made between departments by the Town Manager during February 2016 in amounts less than $25,000.
D. Budget Amendment No. 6, which accounts for the transfer of $877,000 from the Water Division to the Transfer to Capital Project Line in order to fund the established Water Meter Capital Project Fund;
E. Budget Amendment No. 7, which accounts for the receipt of the $2,000,000 donation by the General Fund and the appropriation of those funds, via transfer, into the established Community Improvement Projects Fund.
F. Budget Amendment No. 8, which accounts for the receipt of $46,000 from Carteret County to service the North River Fire District, appropriating them to be spent by the Fire Department;
J. Special event application for Beaufort Music Festival May 20-21 (waive ABC laws on Middle Lane and the Craven Street and Middle Lane parking lot).
Topics under Items for Discussion and Consideration include the following:
- The Board agreed to move forward with investigating replacing the dumpsters with a compactor on the parking lot on Queen Street. They asked that facts and a proposal, including location and cost, be presented to the businesses that would be affected.
- FY17-FY21 Capital Improvement Plan received unanimous approval.
- The preliminary plat for the Sea Oaks subdivision was approved.
- The Board decided to move forward in reviewing Chapter 50: Solid Waste Management in the Town’s Code of Ordinances.
- The Board elected Vic Fasolino to serve the three-year regular in-town term on the Board of Adjustment and Russell Lewis to serve the three-year alternate in-town term.
During the manager's report, Mr. Burgess shared the progress of the new fire station construction and the Front Street Paving Project. He also stated The 12-inch water supply line in the Front Street Village/Beau Coast/Beau East project area state application has been executed. Ms. Hermley briefed the board on the monthly financial report.
There was a Closed Session Pursuant to NCGS 143-318.11(a)(5) Property Acquisition before the meeting was adjourned.