UPDATE 01/19/15: Elected officials, staff, citizens and more gathered at 506 Live Oak Street for the official groundbreaking for the new fire station. Town Manager Charles Burgess introduced Architects from the station’s design firm, Gastonia-based Stewart, Cooper and Newell PA and contractors Hudson Brothers Construction out of Greenville. Mayor Richard Stanley thanked the fire fighters for their work before he and the other elected officials took up the gold shovels and broke ground. Before the closing of the ceremony, Fire Chief Larry Fulp gave a brief history of the Beaufort Fire Department.
Fire Department staff, left, and elected officials, right, attend the official groundbreaking ceremony for the new fire station at 506 Live Oak Street Tuesday, Jan. 19, 2016.
UPDATE 01/12/16: At the December meeting of the Local Government Commission in Raleigh, the Town’s loan to fund new construction of the fire station was approved and groundbreaking on that project is at 3 p.m. Tuesday, Jan. 19, at 506 Live Oak St.
The below press release sent to local media.
Beaufort to break ground Jan. 19 on new fire station
BEAUFORT - Elected officials for this town will have their gold shovels ready for the 3 p.m. Tuesday, Jan. 19, groundbreaking of the new fire station to be built at 506 Live Oak St.
During the brief ceremony, Mayor Richard Stanley, Town Manager Charles Burgess and Fire Chief Larry Fulp will speak. Architects from the station’s design firm, Gastonia-based Stewart, Cooper and Newell PA, and contractors Hudson Brothers Construction out of Greenville will be on hand for the ceremony as well. This project is being financed by BB&T.
“The community and the Fire Department are long overdue for a new station,” Mr. Burgess said. “We are very pleased with the design of the building both functionally and aesthetically and we couldn’t be happier to see this project come to fruition.”
For more information, contact Mr. Burgess at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 252-728-2141.
UPDATE 11/03/15: At the Town of Beaufort Board of Commissioners reconvened Oct. 20, 2015, special meeting Thursday, Oct. 29, 2015, in the Train Depot, 614 Broad St., Beaufort,the Board unanimously approved Resolution Making Certain Findings And Determinations Regarding The Financing Of Construction And Equipping A New Fire Station For The Town Of Beaufort, North Carolina And Authorizing The Filing Of An Application For Approval Of A Financing Agreement To The Local Government Commission, the Resolution Approving Financing Terms and Resolution Pertaining To The Construction Contract Award For The Fire Station No. 1 Capital Project.
UPDATE 10/27/15: At the Beaufort Board of Commissioners special meeting Tuesday, Oct. 20, 2015, in the Train Depot, 614 Broad St., Beaufort, N.C., the Board recessed during the public hearing to discuss and approve entering into an installment financing agreement pursuant to G.S. 160A-20 in a principal amount not to exceed $3,000,000 for the purpose of financing the cost of construction and equipping a new fire station for the Town. The public hearing will reconvene at 6 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 29, 2015, in the Train Depot, 614 Broad St.
UPDATE 10/06/15: The Beaufort Board of Commissioners approved during the Oct. 5, 2015, regular meeting a Resolution Calling A Public Hearing In Connection With An Installment Financing Agreement For The Construction And Equipping Of A New Fire Station For The Town Of Beaufort, North Carolina and a Resolution Authorizing The Invitation For Request For Proposals For Financing Agreement As Per NCGS 160A-20.
The next step is to notify the public of the hearing to take place on Oct. 20 in the Train Depot and make available the Request For Proposal For Installment Financing Agreement For the Purpose of Financing The cost of Construction and Equipping of a New Fire Station, which can be found here.
The notice for the public hearing is on the website and is to run in the Carteret County News-Times Oct. 7 and Oct. 14.
Notice is hereby given that a public hearing will be held by the Town of Beaufort Board of Commissioners at 5 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 20, 2015, in the Train Depot, 614 Broad Street, Beaufort, N.C., to consider the following item:
- Entering into an installment financing agreement pursuant to G.S. 160A-20 in a principal amount not to exceed $3,000,000 for the purpose of financing the cost of construction and equipping a new fire station for the Town.
New Fire Station Invitation to Bid Construction of Fire Station No. 1.
The advertisement being printed in the Carteret County News-Times from Wednesday, September 16 through Sunday, Oct. 4, reads:
Town of Beaufort
Invitation to Bid
Construction of Fire Station No.1
The Town of Beaufort is soliciting sealed bids for Single Prime Contracts (which include general, plumbing, mechanical, and electrical construction) for construction of a new fire station at 506 Live Oak Street in Beaufort, North Carolina. Bids will be received at Beaufort Town Hall – 701 Front Street, Beaufort, NC 28516 by Stewart-Cooper-Newell Architects, P.A. until 2:00 p.m on October 13, 2015 at which time bids will be opened and read. A pre-bid conference will be held on Tuesday, September 29, 2015 at 1:00 PM at the Train Depot – 614 Broad Street, Beaufort.
Bid packages can be obtained online from NextPlans at http://scn.nextplans.com. Add the documents to your cart and proceed through the checkout process. You may order digital or hard copy plans at .10/sq. f.t.-plans and .10/page-specs. The only means by which PDF’s are to be provided is via download from NextPlans. Credit Card only. This is not a deposit and no refunds will be issued after successful delivery of project documents. After download, you may distribute these documents to your potential bidders through your normal channels. This site will be open to sub-prime bidders as well, allowing them to view prime bidder information and order bid documents. Notification of addenda, pre-bid meetings, award information, etc will come via email through this site and be published for all registered users to view. For those not familiar with NextPlans, or who need technical assistance, please contact NextPlans support at 866-215-0428 or email email@example.com.
- All Contractors are hereby notified that they shall be properly licensed under the State Laws governing their respective trades. (General Statutes 87, State Of North Carolina.)
- Each Bidder will be required to certify on the Bid Form that he/she is properly licensed and classified to perform the work that he/she is bidding. This certification also guarantees that if subcontractors are used they will also be properly licensed and classified.
- Bidders should have no contact with the owners or the owners’ representatives. Any such contact will subject the bidder to immediate disqualification.
- Bids must be on the standard forms provided by the Architects and must be marked to identify the construction or classification of the work as shown above.
- Each bid shall be accompanied by a certified check drawn on some bank or trust company insured by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation or a bid bond in the amount of equal to 5% of the total bid. The certified check or bid bond will be retained if the successful Bidder fails to execute the contract within ten (10) days after the award or fails to give satisfactory surety as required by the Contract Documents.
- A Performance Bond and Labor and Material Payment Bond in the amount of 100% of the Contract Sum will be required for this project. All Bonds must be executed in accordance with and conditioned as prescribed by the Laws of the State of North Carolina.
- No Bidder may withdraw his Bid within 60 (Sixty) days after the opening thereof. Bidders shall be required to begin work upon receipt of Notice to Proceed as issued by the Owner, and complete work within 300 Consecutive Calendar Days as stated on the Bid forms. Liquidated Damages in the amount of $500.00 per calendar day will be assessed for each day beyond the scheduled completion date the work remains incomplete.
Bidding documents, drawings, and specifications may be examined at the following location:
719 East Second Avenue
Gastonia, NC 28054
Phone: 704/865-6311 FAX: 704/865-0046
For technical questions during the bidding phase please contact Jody Jackson at firstname.lastname@example.org. For questions concerning obtaining plans and specifications please contact Roseanne Christopher at 800-671-0621 - Extension 10, or email email@example.com.
Important Note to All Bidders:
ALL BIDDERS ARE HEREBY NOTIFIED THAT THEY SHALL COMPLY WITH THE TOWN OF BEAUFORT’S MINORITY BUSINESS ENTERPRISE PROGRAM. MBE REQUIREMENTS ARE INCLUDED IN THE SPECIFICATIONS.
The Owners reserve the right to accept or reject any and all bids, to waive any informalities in bidding, and to award the Contract in any manner which the Owner believes is in the best interest of the citizens of The Town of Beaufort.
Charles W. Burgess
Town of Beaufort
08/07/15: Stewart, Cooper, Newell Architects is currently finalizing the design of the Beaufort fire Department’s new fire station to be built on the corner of Live Oak and Pine streets.
Once the design plans are approved by the Board of Commissioners, project construction will be opened to a formal bid process, possibly in the fall.
The hope is to break ground in late 2015 or early 2016.